The ECA Guidelines for the 2023/24 season in relation to Sunday matches in the ECA Turf and ECA Veterans competitions are below.
A. Sunday Matches and Sunday Play in ECA Turf Saturday Grades
- For a variety of reasons, some matches in the ECA Turf Saturday grades (Saturday grades) will need to be fixtured for play on Sunday (either fixtured on Sunday, fixtured on Saturday and Sunday or match moved from Saturday to Sunday before the round is fixtured to be played).
- Clubs are expected to make all reasonable attempts to accommodate any changes in the fixture to enable ECA matches to be played on Sunday if necessary.
- If a fixtured match is unable to be played on Saturday and is to be moved from Saturday to Sunday before the round is fixtured to be played, all attempts will be made to play the match on the Sunday of the same weekend. If that is not possible, the match can be moved to a Sunday later in the season subject to approval by the ECA and any conditions for the match issued by the ECA. If a match is unable to be moved to the Sunday on the same weekend or later in the season the match result will be a draw.
- Home clubs who are fixtured to play on Sunday are responsible for confirming with ground managers the availability, preparation and use of the ground/wicket for any Sunday matches.
- Sunday matches in the Saturday grades can be re-fixtured to Saturday if one of the competing clubs has an available ground on Saturday or a ground is arranged for play on Saturday. If a ground is available or can be arranged for play on Saturday, the match may be re-fixtured for play on Saturday, even if both clubs do not agree to play on Saturday (subject to any conditions for the match issued by the ECA).
- No player shall play or be named to play in a Saturday match and in a Sunday match on the same weekend unless the Sunday match is a ECA Veterans match or allowed under the ECA Sunday competition rules. No player shall play or be named to play in a Sunday match and an ECA Veterans match on the same weekend (ie. Unable to play in two matches at the same time).
- Fixtured Sunday matches in the Saturday grades will have priority for play over any ECA Veterans matches and ECA Sunday matches fixtured at the same ground on the same day.
- If Sunday matches in the Saturday grades causes difficulties for teams, clubs are reminded about ECA Rule 3.14.2(viii). Clubs may apply to the ECA Operations Manager with a request to consider any issues that may arise in relation to Sunday matches (eg. exceptional circumstances).
B. ECA Turf Reserve Days
No reserve days for Saturday and Sunday turf grades during the regular season. All turf grades have reserve days in finals.
C. Adverse weather (heat, rain, air quality) (to be read in conjunction with relevant ECA procedures)
If the Executive cancels Saturday matches due to adverse weather (heat, rain or air quality):
Fixtured Sunday matches or Sunday days of play in all Saturday grades and ECA Sunday grade matches on the same weekend will not be automatically cancelled. The same procedures that apply when determining whether matches should be cancelled on Saturday will then apply on Sunday to the Sunday matches; and
ECA Veterans matches on the same weekend will not be automatically cancelled EXCEPT, in relation to rain/wet weather, where matches are fixtured for play on turf on the same weekend, matches which will be cancelled. ECA Veterans matches that were fixtured for play on turf can be transferred to a synthetic wicket, if possible. The same procedures that apply when determining whether matches should be cancelled on Saturday will then apply on Sunday to ECA Veterans matches.
If the Executive does not cancel Saturday matches, the Executive may cancel all or some Sunday matches on the same weekend if there are adverse weather conditions prior to Sunday matches. The same procedures that apply when determining whether matches should be cancelled on Saturday will apply on Sunday to all Sunday matches.
Any club, team or player who contravenes these Guidelines shall be dealt with by the Executive.
ECA Executive October 2023