Guidelines for decisions in relation to requests to review player type or team points made under ECA Rule 11.7.4 (2023/24 season)
A. Current ECA Rule 11.7.4
1. The current ECA Rule 11.7.4 is:
A club may submit a request for player type or team points consideration by the Executive under special and extenuating circumstances. Any such ruling will be final and published on the ECA web site defining details of a change and validity of any such change. In the absence of proven deliberate misinformation, the change will only be applied prospectively.
B. ECA Points Review Committee (EPRC)
2. As part of the Player Type or Team Points allocation process, clubs may request a reassessment (referred to as “consideration” in Rule 11.7.4) by the ECA Points Review Committee (EPRC) of any Player Type or Team Points allocation.
3. The EPRC, for the purpose of any reassessment, shall consist of no greater than three (3) persons as appointed by the ECA Operations Manager.
4. Any reassessment request must be in writing. The EPRC may hold a hearing in relation to any request. The EPRC can request or obtain any information to assist in reviewing and deciding on any request.
5. The EPRC must make a decision in relation to any request within 10 days of the date of the receipt of the request by the ECA. The 10 days cannot be extended. If no decision has been made within 10 days the request will be deemed to have been granted.
6. The EPRC must notify in writing the requesting club as soon as possible once the decision has been made. The EPRC may provide to the requesting club the reasons for any decision of the EPRC.
7. Any decision of the EPRC that results in a change of a Player Type or Team Points allocation will be published on the ECA website.
8. The EPRC must advise the ECA Operations Manager of all decisions made by the EPRC who will keep a record of any EPRC decisions. The EPRC may request a copy of the record of past EPRC decisions.
9. No appeal or review is possible in relation to any decision of the EPRC. The decision of the EPRC is final.
C. Player Type Reassessment
10. A reassessment request by a club in relation to Player Type must be made to the ECA Operations Manager no later than 8pm on the Monday before the first match in which the player is to play. Under no circumstances will a reassessment request in relation to Player Type be considered if the player has already played or was named to play in any ECA match in that season.
11. A club that has a player that does not meet any of the Player Type categories must apply to the ECA Operations Manager for review by the EPRC to determine the appropriate Player Type allocation prior to the player playing or being named to play in any ECA match in that season.
D. Team Points Reassessment
12. A reassessment request by a club in relation to Team Points must be made to the ECA Operations Manager no later than 8pm on 15 September of any upcoming season. Only if exceptional circumstances exist will any reassessment request in relation to Team Points be considered after this date.
E. Special and Extenuating Circumstances
13. Clubs must detail the special and extenuating circumstances that exist which are the basis for the request.
14. Special and extenuating circumstances would include:
The existing Player Type allocation for a player is as a result of only playing a limited number of matches at a higher level;
The existing Player Type allocation for a player is as a result of playing at a higher level in or for a country that was an Associate Member of the International Cricket Council when the player played;
The age of the player at the date of the request (under 21 years of age);
The player has a valid and reasonable explanation as why he has not played cricket in the past 5 seasons;
A club enduring significant hardship (request for additional Team Points);
A club has no or a limited number of underage teams (currently and in the past) (request for additional Team Points);
A club is not capable of developing a junior program due to reasons outside of its control (request for additional Team Points).
F. EPRC decision rule
15. For a request to be granted by the EPRC it must be evident from the information available to the EPRC that special and extenuating circumstances exist and that the granting of the request would be in the best interests of the ECA, ECA competitions and ECA clubs.
16. The best interests of the ECA, ECA competitions and ECA clubs would include:
The failure to grant the request would unreasonably restrict the player’s movement to an ECA club;
The failure to grant the request would unreasonably restrict the player’s opportunity to play cricket at an ECA club of their choice;
The failure to grant the request would unreasonably impact on the club’s First XI to be competitive in the forthcoming season.
Issued: September 2021